You probably know the smell though. The smell of freshly baked bread at the bakery. Today, we have a super easy recipe that can turn your home in no time into a bakery. With these steps you can easily put a delicious rustic bread on the table. And the only thing you have to do is to mix all the ingredients. So you’re ready in 10 minutes. Including the rise of the dough takes making this bread just about 2,5 hours.
- 2 ¼ teaspoons granulated yeast
- 1,5 teaspoons sea salt or 1 teaspoon regular salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 130 gram whole wheat flour
- 330 gram all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 320 ml luke/hot water. You should still be able to touch it. It shouldn’t be too hot.
- Wooden spoon
- Oven safe pan (here, the width and depth don’t matter, if only the dough fits in it. A deeper, narrower pan makes the bread higher, and a broad low pan bread makes it wider)
- Parchment paper
- Pour the warm water in a large bowl. Mix the water with the yeast and the sugar and leave it for 4-5 minutes until the mix gets bubbly.
- Add the salt, wheat flour, all-purpose flour, olive oil and sea salt. And stir the dough with a wooden spoon. Stir until the dough becomes one whole. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel and let the dough rise for 45-60 minutes at room temperature (if the room temperature is slightly cooler, it can take a little longer).
- While the dough is rising, you take a pan and cover the bottom with a small amount of flour (the flour does not need to cover the whole soil). Then place parchment paper on the bottom and sprinkle some flour over the paper. This will ensure that the bread won’t stick to the pan.
- Put some flour on the counter and take the risen dough from the bowl. Sprinkle the outside of the dough with flour. Shape the dough into a ball by kneading it with your hands. Cover the dough again with flour (Note: do not use too much, otherwise the bread will get too dry).
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Put the ball of dough in the oven safe pan with parchment paper and flour. Let it rest for 30-40 minutes or until the dough has become twice as large.
- Then sprinkle the top of the dough with flour and make parallel cuts with a sharp knife with 4 cm’s between them.
- Cover the pan with a lid and place the pan in the oven for 30 minutes. After that you take the lid of the pan and bake the bread for 15-25 minutes until it has a gold-brown color.
- Remove the pan with the bread from the oven and let it stand uncovered to cool down. This takes about 15 minutes. Take the bread out of the pan and let it cool down.
Serve the bread with some spreads at a BBQ or take the bread with you for a picnic! Enjoy!